The easier you can develop a fully functional application to perform specific tasks, the more quickly you’ll be able to put it to work and benefit from it. To achieve a continuous cycle of improvements and automate additional processes, businesses increasingly turn to low-code development platforms.
Such a platform gives the business a powerful tool to ideate, create and optimize business apps easier and quicker than ever. All without the complexity of code.
Low-code vs Excel
What if you encounter a process that can’t be solved with an off-the-shelf solution? For a quick fix you might turn to Excel or a free online tool, but going beyond the simple requirement will show their limits.
Low-code development as a way of work isn’t new. For a long time, non-developers have used Excel to gather, store, and employ data. Sometimes building apps with incredible complexity, using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and other built-in development tools. It is a wonderful piece of software, but there are limitations.
The advantages of low-code over Excel:
- Low-code platforms can integrate with almost any type of (online) system.
- Role-based rights ensure that users can only access information they are allowed to see.
- Rule-based workflows can route tasks or otherwise inform specific users that a task is due.
- Recurring tasks can be automated using a built-in robot that can be configured to perform recurring tasks flawless and faster than humans
- Working in the cloud establishes one single source of truth that increases trust and makes KPI’s actually measurable.
- There is no internal dependency on infrastructure maintenance.
Low-code vs Software Engineers
We love Software Engineers. We work with them every day. But we also know that there is an incredible demand for them and expect that this will only increase. The world is becoming more digital and connected and expert people are necessary to build the software to make that happen.
This is why we created a low-code platform in the first place; To enable others to create apps, not to compete with the engineers.
The advantages of low-code:
- A proof-of-concept for an entire workflow app is created in no time.
- The fully functional app is created faster with building blocks.
- (Security) updates for the apps and the platform is taken care off.
- Knowledge of the platform is not concentrated to a single person.
Low-code vs Custom Software
The time-to-market with low-code is incredibly fast because the underlying infrastructure has already been built and tested. And the infrastructure gets better and more secure with every minor and major update.
The advantages of low-code over custom software:
- The infrastructure of the software is already done. Add data, forms, and rules to create any complex workflow.
- All workflows come together in a single dashboard. What users see is based on access rights.
- It is easy to delegate all tasks for a period of absence so that the work can continue.
- Data is easily transferable between apps.
This is low-code
Low-code is a new type of technology that allows you to build software without having to understand a programming language. With a low-code platform, software applications are created using building blocks and visual designers. It enables a whole new group of people to develop software, which is a big advantage given the shortage of software developers. Low-code enables organizations to ideate, create and optimize business apps easier and quicker than ever.
Learn more about the building blocks in the WorkFlowWise low-code platform.